Sunday, March 22, 2009

i'll never do that again

i've never met anyone new on facebook. i've met all of my facebook friends at least once, with the exceptions of comedians or actors. i've met a few high school folks from my past, some i don't approve and some i do. i only approve high school folks i was in debate with and the tiny few that use to hang out with me. i was pretty depressed in high school and i am always shocked when someone recognizes me. i think 5 of my facebook friends are from high school.

last summer, i received a friend request from connie k. it included a message asking if i remember her from high school. once i put it altogether, the good memories of connie k flooded back into my mind. the memories of geeking out about x-files, homicide: life on the streets and newsradio were good times. she was one year younger than me and i always appreciated her for being cool. we weren't close, but she was always sweet.

i approved her and i caught her a few times on AIM. both of us would suggest to go out drinking, but we never did it. i started to bug her about it and she ignored all of my responses. because of this, i assumed she didn't want to meet up. why would folks suggest to meet up if they don't mean it? since connie k gave no response to my drinking invitation, i stopped asking. i wouldn't be wasting my time writing about this until last Thursday night.

two weeks ago, one of connie k's status asked me when we were finally going to go out for margaritas. she even went the route of putting ?!?!!? at the end of her status. blug. i thought since she blasted me to her 30 friends on facebook, that i should finally go for margaritas with her. since she was asking me to get some drinks, i figured why not? even though its been over 11 yrs since we've seen each other, i thought this would be fun. i will never make that mistake again. the night before we met up, she messaged me saying that her boyfriend was going to be there too and that i should bring my boy as well. here's what i thought of when i read that...

1. wtf?
2. i don't want to use my "boy" as a human shield
3. maybe i shouldn't do thins after all?

i almost canceled the whole deal after i read that message because i thought it was weird. why are you going to drag your fucking sweetie to this this? i love m.v.f. enough to know that i don't expect him to drive to LA for this bullshit?!? i want to have a drink with connie k and not her boyfriend...especially when you haven't seen them since 1998?!?i should have listened to my gut. instead, i bit the bullet and told her that my "boy" doesn't live in LA and that i'll still be there. this lead to the most awkward dinner i've ever had in my life.

i don't want to go through all of the details, because it's not even worth it. but i will say that she and her boyfriend have no social skills. i felt like i was talking too much, only because they both were giving me "deer caught in the headlights" looks throughout dinner. yes, i know it's been 11 years since we've seen each other. but it was HER idea for this whole thing, so i would think she would of made some kind of effort to talk to me. look at my fucking profile at least?!? i am over people who can't carry a fucking conversation. i wasted a night i could of done homework or met with a friend who i haven't seen in a while. geesh.

most of the conversation we had was about high school anyway. she was shocked that i didn't go to my 10 year reunion. i wasn't shocked in the slightest because i haven't thought about high school since i fucking graduated and MOVED ON from that hell hole. the only thing i got from the whole thing was how much i have grown up and moved on from the awkward, shy and anti social grrl i use to be. unfortunately not everyone moves on and folks from high school remain bitter, awkward and still live in the same city, without thinking of anything else but themselves.

No comments: