Wednesday, March 25, 2009

waiting for the bus

i had a crazy experience this evening while trying to get home from school. i was walking on vermont ave, heading to santa monica blvd for the 4 bus. while i walking to this stop, i heard a guy moaning and faintly sobbing for about 5 seconds. i didn't think too much of this until i got to the bus stop.

i saw an I.G (intoxicated guy, possibly high too, but I.G is short and to the point) harassing a man and his friend. I.G was right up in this man's face and was yelling at the top of his lungs. the two men were completely ignoring him, which made I.G more frustrated. this lead to I.G spilling his steel reserve on the bus bench, while waving his fist in the air, near the men he was harassing. it wasn't until I.G intentionally took his belt off, let his pants fall down and started to run toward the men that I started to sort of panic. as much as I.G was harassing these guys, they weren't moving or doing anything to stop I.G from getting in their personal space. but in retrospect, I.G was being fucked up and those guys were caught up in his craziness.

my gut was telling me that perhaps the LAPD should be here right now, even though i despise the LAPD. i also felt like this wasn't a 911 situation, but it could of been if I.G started acting violent. feeling skeptical and overwhelmed, i called m.v.f and left a message asking if he can look up the closest LAPD station and text me the info. i know that was stupid, because he lives 60 miles east of LA, but i was scarred and felt weird calling up a random friend in the neighborhood. i knew m.v.f. was home and i went into auto pilot.

right when i hung up, I.G started coming toward me. i didn't want to be too aggressive because this guy was twice my size, but i was going to defend myself if I.G got out of hand. he started mumbling and i couldn't understand him. he was also up in my face, in a way that i was uncomfortable with. slowly i moved away from him, while telling him to please leave me alone. he started yelling and got aggressive with me. i looked him in the eye, kept my distance, and calmly asked if he can leave me alone now. he got the message and he backed off. when I.G backed off, the 4 bus came and tried to get on as fast as i could. I.G kept blocking me and another woman from getting on. the other woman kept looking at me, as if i should do something. awkwardly i yelped "Bus!?!" to I.G and pointed at the bus entrance he was originally blocking. i think he understood, because he backed off and let us on. he tried to get on the bus again, but the bus driver wouldn't allow it.

i got off the bus and i wanted to get a drink to calm my nerves. since i didn't want to go to a bar alone, i went to the neighborhood liquor store and bought a 6 pack of fat tire. i called m.v.f. to let him know i was o.k. he left me 2 voice messages and a text asking me if i was ok. But my phone was on silent and I didn't feel the vibration because it was during my bus interaction with I.G.
i've haven't experience this type of craziness in a long time. fortunately i started to save $$$ and i would like to buy a car by the end of summer. i am aware that owning a car will not protect me from guys like I.G or any crazy mofo that decides to harass me. but at least i'll have something to get into, rather than walking to and fro at a bus stop.

No comments: