Wednesday, December 23, 2009

My top albums of 2009 - part 1

2009 was the year for music. Some of my favorite bands blew me away, along with discovering albums I never thought I would like. I can't put these albums in any order, because I appreciate all of them!! So, my next two or three entries will be about albums I LOVED in 09. Let's begin....



How can I NOT mention Memoirs of An Imperfect Angel by Mariah Carey?!? This album takes you on a journey!!! How can you forget such lyrics as "He's all up in my George Foreman", and "No one can deny it, we were flying like United". She's talking about TRUTH in this album! Reflecting on past relationships, appreciating the new love in her life, along with missing past lovers. But it's not just this tho....the beats are also SICK!! This album is great in the car, club or at a party. I've always liked Mariah Carey, but I was surprised how much i L-O-V-E-D this album.



I downloaded Actor by St. Vincent earlier this year, and I didn't listen to it right away. I did this because all the indie blogs were talking about her so fucking much. I was turned off by the hype. But I got over my hang up, and finally gave St. Vincent a chance. Her voice is beautiful, haunting and graceful...even though she's telling you her life is fucked up. Save Me From What I Want and The Party are my two favorite tracks. I think this is her first official album, and I am looking forward to her second. I also can't WAIT to see her at the El Rey in Feb 2010. :)



WTF Sunset Rubdown?!? You fucking blew away 2009 with Dragonslayer!! Honestly, I didn't think I would like this one. Their first album had a few tracks I liked. But it didn't impress me as much as Dragonslayer did! They are rocking OUT on this one for real!! The guitar and their harmonies are in FULL effect! Each track has its own unique sound. The lyrics are also awesome as well. For example, take Black Swan...

there was a rumor of a ghost in the bedroom,
hanging in and around the bed
but by the time the moon rose, you had taken off your clothes
and had the pillow under your head

These lyrics might sound crazy reading, but the song itself is AMAZING! I can't recommend this album enough.



See Mystery Light by YACHT is a GREAT album. The first track, Ring The Bell is fucking sick! "Will we go to heaven, or will we go to hell, it's my understanding that neither are real" That lyric alone made my heart jump for joy! Another new edition to YACHT is Claire Evans! She's awesome in this album!! Both are YACHT! There isn't a singer or a main star, both collaborate and compliment each other! Psychic City, I'm In Love With The Ripper, and Don't Fight the Darkness are a few of my favorite tracks.


More to come y'all. Stay tuned.

No comments: